We started with one squirt of one color of paint on the rainbow so we could focus on moving the nut. And boy, was Jelly Bean focused. It was tricky to move the nut along the path with the magnet hidden below the paper.
Repeat with additional drops of paint and nuts for each color band on the rainbow.
Magnet Rainbow Masterpieces! Job Well Done!
- Washable tempura paint (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple)
- nut or paperclip
- strong bar or wand magnet (we used bar)
- rainbow picture (downloadable from here)
- two equal height objects to prop up picture
- Tape the rainbow picture up on the two equal height objects so that a magnet can be moved under the picture easily.
- Drop one squirt of each paint color on the rainbow at a time.
- Place a nut or paperclip on the picture next to the paint.
- Put the magnet under the paper, under the nut or paperclip and move it through the paint. Drag the nut across the rainbow coloring in the bands.
- Continue until the rainbow is filled in.
- Allow time for free draw under the rainbow or fill in the clouds.