This activity is a great extension to the seeds/growth activities we have been exploring with the Seeds BLAST. It is also a wonderful way to show a continuation of the growth cycle exploring what it takes to maintain grown plants. Be sure to check back later to see how we do!
First, a thin layer of rock needs to be added to the bottom of your jar to help with drainage.
Ta Da! Our terrariums are finished with the help of our friends!
UPDATE: Part 2 of our terrarium project is available here. Learn more about which container is best for you, the types of plants to choose, how to maintain your terrrarium, and how this ecosystem works together to stay alive.
- container with or without a lid
- small rocks
- activating charcoal
- potting soil
- small plants - succulents are cacti work best
- water - a spray bottle works well to prevent over watering
- Fill the bottom of your container with a thin layer of rock.
- Add about an inch of activating charcoal.
- Fill the container half way full with potting soil.
- Dig a hole big enough to fit your plant in.
- Place your plant in the hole and cover the roots with soil.
- Spray with water so it is damp, but not too wet.