Jelly Bean and Jumping Bean begin by making playdough for our activity. They wanted to make their own so the playdough could be black.
As you can see, our playdough is not black. We added all the food coloring we had and this is the color we got.
We can't forget to put rings around Saturn and Uranus. Rubber bands were added to represent the rings.
And the final product- our playdough solar system! This activity is really easy and quick to put together, but so much learning is involved!
For the playdough:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups salt
- 1 1/2 T cream of tarter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- food coloring (optional)
- glitter (optional)
- different sized balls, pom pom, corn kernel
- 2 rubber bands
- Make the playdough- mix all the dry ingredients in a large pot. Add the water and food coloring to the dry ingredients. Cook over medium heat until the ingredients form a ball. Remove the playdough from the pot and allow to cool for a few minutes. Knead the dough until fully incorporated.
- Add glitter to the playdough.
- Pat out the playdough to form a circle about 18 inches in diameter.
- Place the largest ball in the center of the circle- this is the sun.
- Draw 8 rings around the sun to represent the orbital rings.
- Place one ball or pom pom on each orbital ring. These are the planets.
- Optional watch the solar system you tube video as you place the planets on your solar system.