This experiment is quite simple. First, measure out a teaspoon of salt and pepper.
Next, mix the salt and pepper together.
And now for the challenge! I asked Jelly Bean and Jumping Bean how they could separate the pepper from the salt. They thought licking their finger and dipping it into the mixture would work.
Their guess was a good one, but nope, it did not work.
So back to the idea of static electricity. The girls rubbed the back of a plastic spoon on their fleece jackets and tried to pick up the pepper with the spoon.
And it worked! Jelly Bean and Jumping Bean were successful in the Salt and Pepper Challenge!
- 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- plastic spoon
- Measure one teaspoon each of salt and pepper and dump it onto a plate.
- Mix the salt and pepper together.
- Rub the back of a plastic spoon on fleece or wool for 30 seconds.
- Hold the back of the spoon just above the salt and pepper mixture, but not allowing them to touch.
- Watch the pepper jump of the plate and onto the back of the spoon.