We started by using other senses besides eyesight to tell us what we were going to test. The girls were excited to use their blindfolds to guess what was in our snowman bag. It did not take long for them to figure it out once they smelled inside the bag. There were cookies inside!
Next, the girls measured the diameter of each cookie.
Weighing each cookie was next.
This was mommy's favorite part. The gallon of milk is pretty full, and Jelly Bean and Jumping Bean thought they would be able to pour the milk into our measuring cup. It was a bit harder than they anticipated.
After pouring 1/4 cup of milk into the bottom of each bowl, the cookies were set in the milk. The first thing the girls noticed, is that all the cookies float.
We counted to 30, and then took the cookies out of the milk.
Jelly Bean and Jumping Bean measured the diameter and weighed each cookie again to see which one absorbed the most milk. The diameter, did not change (expect for the Chips Ahoy fell apart), but the weight did.
Our results- Oreos absorb the most milk!
Oreos initial weight was 12g and final weight was 17g.
Chips Ahoys initial weight was 10g and final weight was 14g.
Fudge Stripes initial weight was 14g and final weight was 15g.
The math was advanced for Jelly Bean and Jumping Bean, but we were able to use a number line to figure out the subtraction.
And the best part- taste testing!
We now know which cookie Santa will get Christmas Eve. What cookie will you set out?
- 3 different types of cookies (we used oreo, chips ahoy, and fudge stripe)
- milk- 1/4 cup per bowl
- 3 bowls
- paper towels
- blindfold (optional)
- 3 bags to hide cookies in
- Place one cookie in each of the bags.
- Cover eyes with blindfold.
- Using you 4 of your senses (not sight), predict what is in each bag.
- Look inside to see what it is.
- Using the ruler, measure the diameter of each cookie.
- Using the scale, weigh each cookie.
- Pour 1/4 cup milk into each bowl.
- Place one cookie in each bowl and count to 30.
- Take cookies out and place on a paper towel.
- Measure the diameter of the cookie again.
- Weight the cookie again.
- Compare the beginning diameter and weight to the diameter and weight after it has been soaking in the milk.
- Discuss that the cookie with the largest weight gain absorbed the most milk.